During the last few months I've had to say goodbye to too many friends. Some went away to college with the promise that we'd see each other at Christmas, or maybe just a few weeks down the road. That kind of timeframe is one I can handle. It's hard to see them go and know we'll inevitably grow apart just because of the distance, but at least I can count on seeing them the next time they're home- even if i only get a 5 minute conversation every few months. I didn't really expect to miss my older friends as much as I do, especially because I wasn't that close to most of them. For the ones I've gotten to know well, I look forward to Christmas, the reuniting hugs, and the coffee dates.
Like I said, I can deal with a timeframe. It's the friends who gradually drift away without warning that are hard to say goodbye to. I've lost more friends this year than any other year because we've gotten busy. I know that just happens, and it would definitely happen come time to leave for college, but I thought I had a lot more time left. It sucks to think that this is what I'll be doing for the next ten months- watching friends leave because our friendship is no longer interesting, exciting, or convenient. I didn't realize that senioritis affects more than just schoolwork.
It's hard to let go of the friends who stop caring about our friendship, whether they're across the country or right here in West Linn. It's not fun right now but I know that by the time I leave, I'll be able to see which friends care enough to stick around.
No comments:
Post a Comment