Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So much to do, so little time.

I just started reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan and I LOVE it. I'm only on chapter 3 (partially because I loved chapters 1 and 2 so much that I had to read them over again... and then again) but my world has been rocked. Chapter 2 is called "You might not finish this chapter" and it talks about how we act as though everyday is normal, even though it could be our last. How often do I wake up in the morning without motivation because I'm tired/frustrated/bored with my life? Answer: too often. I should wake up each morning with gratitude and excitement, that God has given me one more day to serve and glorify Him. If I really believe that each day is an undeserved gift, I should be living differently. But I'm not. More often than not, I wake up and immediately think about everything I have to do that day. And then I get stressed. Chan says, "Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small, indeed". I never thought of it like this before, but when I worry about my own circumstances (which really aren't that bad) I'm essentially telling God that I don't think He can handle what I'm dealing with. Because clearly, I can do a much better job.

Why am I so quick to forget the amazing love my God has for me? He IS worthy of my praise, and that is what I need to do: praise Him. Even on the days I don't feel like it. What would it look like if I lived like I was dying? like each day was anything BUT normal, and I can't undo/redo what happens today? Now, THAT would be a radically different life.

No comments:

Post a Comment