Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Welcome to 2nd Semester...

I love my Birkenstocks. Unless it's snowing (or below freezing) or my toenails aren't painted, I'm wearing them. There was one day a few weeks ago that I decided to wear tennis shoes just to change it up. Big mistake. It ended up being high 50's and sunny. A sunny winter day in Oregon is rare and I couldn't believe I was wearing tennis shoes. I vowed that from then on, I would stick to the normal schedule of wearing them everyday- especially days that have any possibility of sunshine.

This brings me to today. One of my new classes is Geology of the Pac NW. It's supposed to be an easy class, which is obviously why I'm taking it. I don't even like rocks. I think they're boring. My teacher gave us a heads up yesterday that we'd be taking the first of many walks today. I checked the forecast this morning and it said mid-50's and sunny, so I wasn't worried about being too cold. Knowing it was supposed to be sunny, I wore my Birks- couldn't miss another sunny day! It's really too bad he didn't tell us we'd be walking a big 1 mile loop up into the wilderness area behind the school, and that I didn't consider the possibility that the sun wouldn't be out at 10:30am. A mile isn't that far, but it is when your toes are frozen and you're hiking through mud. That's what I get for trying to enjoy the nice weather.

Besides Geology, my new classes are Econ and Fiber Arts. Day 2 of Fiber Arts went well; we're doing macrame, which is really just glorified hemp bracelets- my specialty. I made 3 today before getting bored. I can already tell it's going to be a looong semester.

So I'm really excited about being more than halfway done with the year- 74 school days left, but who's counting? I can't honestly say I finished the semester strong, but I took care of business and got the grades I needed to. I'm proud to say that I got a 49% on my Stats final and still pulled off a B in the class. I've perfected the art of knowing just enough to get by, but not enough to thrive. It's the same with Bio- I got D's on 3 of the 6 tests last semester, and still got a B in the class. I realize that working hard earlier in the semester would make it less stressful at the end, but that would take the thrill out of it all.

Now I'm just coasting through to the end of the year. As much as I love the rain, it makes me feel guilty about not doing my homework. I see sunny days as an excuse to ignore my responsibilities- that would explain why today (after it finally warmed up) I came home to bake cookies, get on facebook, play my guitar and update my blog. And wish for many Birkenstock days during my last semester of high school. That's just the fabulous life of K-Stu.

No comments:

Post a Comment